Monday 23 September 2013

"I was a beatnik for one week."

http://www.thearkpreston.com/2013-09/interview-the-wave-pictures/

Interview: The Wave Pictures

Interview — By on September 23, 2013 1:00 pm
On September 24th, The Wave Pictures return to Preston with worldwide touring experience and a brand new double album called City Forgiveness. Ahead of their show at The New Continental, our writer spoke with the band about their extensive touring, influences, what inspires a double album and much more…
.
What’s the new record like and what made you decide to make it a double?
I wrote about forty songs in one insomniac week, after coming home from touring. They just all came pouring out of me. I never experienced anything like it. It’s a stream of consciousness epic! It’s our version of On The Road! And if you believe that you’ll believe anything! I was a beatnik for one week. Then I got a good night’s sleep and it was over.
.
The record was written while on tour across America so are we getting a more American sound and loads of American references in the new songs?
The Woods sounds a bit like The Velvet Underground. We’ve always been inspired by American music first and foremost. We listen to the blues, country music, Dylan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Wilson Pickett, Bo Diddley… It has always been where the band is coming from. The Woods is definitely a Velvet Underground thing… you’ve got to love the Velvets!
.
You spend a lot of time gigging all over the world, where are your favourite places to play? Are there different reactions in different countries? Is there anywhere you’ve been where they just didn’t get it?
We really enjoy touring Germany. The audiences there are very attentive but also up for having a party, a good time. I like playing anywhere though. I like it even when the audience doesn’t like it, which does happen on occasion.
.
You’re known for your witty lyrics and obscure imagery, what makes you happier, someone listening to your songs and having a little chuckle or someone spending an hour thinking about what it all means?
The best thing is when you see someone dancing at a show.
.
Where does the song writing inspiration come from? Do you have a favourite lyric of yours?
I’m so thrilled and excited about the new album City Forgiveness. I know that musicians always say that about their new album, but for me it’s our very best work and the best lyrics I have written so far. I don’t know where the inspiration comes from, exactly. We’re very lucky in that we have a lot of very talented friends: Sam James, Stanley Brinks, Jeff Lewis etc etc… To watch these talented people at work is endlessly inspiring. I think a lot of different things inspire me. Films, books, poems, records, and stuff from every day life. It all starts to feed into it. I’m very lucky because I simply enjoy doing it. I’ve never had writer’s block. I’ve never had to work hard at it. I don’t know why.
.
Anyone who has typed The Wave Pictures into YouTube will know your videos tend to be quite funny. Do you enjoy the video shooting side of it? What’s the most fun you’ve had on set?
No, to be perfectly honest I hate making music videos. I wish we didn’t have to do it. I don’t watch them, I don’t like being filmed, I don’t like the discipline at all. We tend to try to get someone talented like Darren Hayman to do it for us. He’s very good at making videos. I’m happy to just pass it over to him and take a back seat. Best of all is when I don’t have to appear in the video. I can just watch it when it is finished. In answer to the second part of your question, making videos is not my idea of fun. If you like one of our videos, then all the credit goes to the film-maker, not to me.
.
The Wave Pictures have been going for ages now, do you still enjoy it as much as when you started and what’s changed about being in the band since?
I enjoy it more and more actually as time goes on and we get better at what we do.
.
Once tipped to make it big you’re now kind of a cult favourite, would you agree? Do you still have ambitions to be more than that?
We’re just enjoying playing music together. I love writing songs and we all love playing together, and talking about music and listening to music. We’re completely addicted. I enjoy every stage of it – the writing, the playing, the recording, the gigs. I feel really lucky because Jonny and Franic are such great musicians and we all get along very well too. We’re very ambitious about the music… we just want to get better and better at what we do. We’ve never had to compromise in any way. We really do things exactly the way we want to do them, with no interference from the outside. Our record label and our friends and family have been completely supportive all the way.
.
There’s a tour just on the horizon, what are you guys like on tour? Rock and roll? Or the opposite?
We are wild and crazy guys!
.
The Mercury Music Prize nominations are out, what have you been listening to lately? Anything you’d like to see get a nod, or even win?
My favourite new album is Boom Biddy Boom by Freschard.
.
With your extensive back catalogue, what can we expect in the set-list?
We change the set list every night. Actually, we don’t use set-lists at all, we just get up there and start playing. We only do the songs that we feel like doing at any given moment. Usually it’s a mix of a few old ones and the stuff from the new album.
.
You play at The Continental in Preston which is known for its fine selection of continental beers, what’s your favourite beer? May I recommend the Delerium Tremens and Kwak?
I will have to try those! I guess personally I like to drink lager. I like Red Stripe! Franic is more of a real ale man. Jonny tends to drink red wine usually.

1 comment:

  1. Even though Amazon lists the vinyl at an extremely reasonable 12.76 GBP, I pre-ordered and the price changed to 10.56GBP. Check it out before it corrects itself. Only a few more quid to ship to the USA as well.

    ReplyDelete